Evaluation Criteria for Email Marketing Services
topseos.com, the independent authority on search vendors, rates and ranks the best email marketing software companies in the industry. We often times contact clients of each vendor to obtain their evaluation. Additionally, we delve into the business practices of a vendor to determine the real quality of the work output. Once the evaluation process is complete we publish a list of the best companies.
We have identified five key areas that separate the average from the best. These categories are submission interface, protocol compliance, delivery rates, analytics, support.
The first aspect that we review is the submission interface. How easy is it to setup an email marketing campaign? Does the software provide templates while still allowing for a custom template?
Next we review the protocol compliance of the software. Does the software follow protocols such as DomainKeys and SenderID in order to maintain high trust levels with the recipients.
Another aspect that is reviewed is the actual delivery rate of emails sent by the software. Does the software have high-quality standards that prevents spamming and increases trust of email that is sent by the tool and also increases delivery rates?
Analytics is another valuable aspect recognized by us. Does the vendor provide statistical information such as open rates, click thru rates, and forwards?
The final key factor identified by topseos is the support provided for the email marketing software. Can a client easily get in contact with a vendor if there is a problem with the software? Beyond just getting in contact, what sort of response time does the vendor provide?
A few questions that we may ask clients of Email marketing firms that we are evaluating might be:
- What type of needs analysis was conducted before work initiated?
- What type of a ROI were you anticipating, what was achieved and in what time frame?
- What would be 3 things you would change about your experience?
- What was your total investment?
- Rate your overall experience (1-10; 10 being the highest).
Project Specific Queries:
- How much time did it take to set up your campaign?
- Does the software support conversion tracking and click through tracking?
- Does the software enable you to add custom demographic fields?
- Does the software require opt-in?
- What type of metrics do the campaign reports cover?
- How much support and how readily was it available after the purchase was made?